Sunday, November 10, 2013

Writing is more then a passion...



I write to give myself strength. I write to be the characters that I am not. I write to explore all the things I am afraid of.” - Joss Whedon
Exactly. When I tell people that I want to write for the rest of my life, I'm faced with the facts. The facts that writing doesn't pay (J.K Rowling is one of the richest women in the world), writing isn't a dignifying job (who hasn't heard of Jane Austen?) and so on. But when I think about writing and all the possibilities it brings, I realize that one of the best professions is being a writer.  

Cause a writer gets to be whatever they want to be. A dragon slayer? A damsel in distress? A spy? Hell yeah, you can be an ant for crying out loud. You create people out of ink and those people can influence anyone. The power of words is what gives a writer strength.

You know that gooey feeling of warmth and happiness. The feeling that gives you a goofy smile and a odd feeling of hope. That's what I get when I think about writing. Writing screenplays, poems, short stories, articles, blog posts - writing whatever I want to because I am the writer.

The best writers, Hemingway, Sylvia Path and many more were all psychologically distressed. I think that's the reason they loved writing. It was a way out. A way out from reality. And quite honesty, I think that's the reason I adore writing. It's gives you the ability to do the things you always wanted to do without leaving your chair. You create people from scratch, people who may actually talk to in reality.
              

So when I tell people that I want to write for the rest of my life, I think about the myths. The myth that writers actually help people discover themselves. The myth that writers create places that people never knew they wanted to see. The myth that writers can get people to laugh, cry, feel hopeful, scared just by words.

The bottom line is that the myths are quite real contrary to the facts.   What do you think?                




No comments:

Post a Comment